BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:39:18 -0500
Hi Ilene, I wouldn't mind weighing in.  First off I'm assuming we're talking
about mortars postdating around 1930.  We rarely find the 1:1:6 blends in
mortars earlier than that.  If your lab is finding them regularly for
earlier mortars, make sure that they are not simply performing a chemical
analysis and calculating the numbers assuming a portland-lime (I see that
very often in my document reviews).

With respect to alkalinity, I'm going to move your decimal places over
assuming you want less than 0.6% equivalent alkalis (i.e.; passing the
optional ASTM C150 requirements).  This requirement should not limit you to
white cement as many gray portlands will pass muster due to the need to
minimize alkali-aggregate reactions in concrete.  Nevertheless, there's
nothing necessarily wrong with white cement.  With respect to in-kind
replacement, they are less common than gray cements historically.

I'm somewhat surprised that SpecMix is being cagey about their formulation.
They often formulate on custom order by proportion.  So I am assuming then
that this is a stock blend for them.  In this case, my biggest concern would
be sand matching.  My experience with SpecMix is that their stock sand tends
to be a fine light colored quartz sand that matches only a small percentage
of historical mortars.  Furthermore, the fact that they're trying to pass on
performance suggests to me that they're failing ASTM C144 on the sand due to
fineness.  ASTM C144 allows you to fail on the sand gradation if you can
demonstrate you pass the property (or strength) specification in ASTM C270
(have I redlined on the goobledeegook meter yet?).  A vast proportion of
available masonry sands for contemporary construction fail on gradation.

As far as their proprietary blends, I doubt they are doing anything fishy.
I have always found them to be on the up and up.  I would expect them to
label their bags as masonry cement if they were dumping in crushed
limestone.  Every time we've analyzed their portland lime mixes we've found
only portland, dolomitic lime, pigment, and sand.

However, proportions are so much more important than strength.  If SpecMix
is blending by property then they are responding to the misguided needs of
the contemporary construction market.  Erring on the safe side to satisfy
poorly written job specs means using cements of greater fineness to increase
early strength and going light on lime.

You have every right to demand that SpecMix provide you with batch tickets
as well as mill certificates for their cement, lime, and sand (ASTM C150,
C207, and C144 testing) if you're purchasing their product.  I would insist
on those submittals.  The batch tickets will be given in weights.  If you
get them, I would be happy to convert them to volume proportions for you.

Anyway, that's my 37 cents
John