BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
adaptive re-use is from the department of repetitive redundancy division <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:19:55 -0500
Hi Leland,

Long day. We have an inline fan that's 240v variable speed continuous duty
that pulls the air through system rather than pushing it through to cut down
on "stacking". We run the air the same direction year round because it's
really intended to act more like a heat battery. When we send in more heat
than it has in it it absorbs it and either gives it back in the winter when
nights are cold or it sends it into the ground when days are hot in summer
to help keep the house cool. The principle is the same as Cuyler's in that
we can count on ground temperature below the basement floor to be fairly
constant. The only issue I still want to address is humidity and I just
haven't had time to research in line dehumidifiers. For now we're using
portable units with limited success.

As far as destroying architecture is concerned, I am a strong believer in
the basic principle that real conservation is keeping buildings usefull.
Part of my approach is paying attention to the time traveling part of
conservation. When Count Rumford was weaving his magic spell the open hearth
was on its way out. The other Ben's great invention was a big part of it but
the rising relative cost of energy was already being felt. Today modern SIP
enclosures have created a new thermal environment and for people like us the
central hearth can once again be a wonderful way to enjoy the heating
season.

Rudy