BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:29:02 EST

> > I question the need for any true skilled craftsmen in any of the areas
> refered
>  > to above. Last time I was thru Alabama it needed more dirt work, not hand
>  > work.
>
>  ----------
>  Is this a comment on agrarian life compared to urban life?
>  OR
>  Is this about vernacular styles compared to schools of styles?
>  OR . . .

I suppose it could either have to do with Native American earth mounds, or
possibly the need of earth movers. I can't imagine it is a reference to early
architectural styles in our rural/agrarian sandpile - a complex colony built
on the dirt in our woods. Urban development for us used to mean throwing rocks
at the dirt-mound houses on the other side until they were obliterated.
Sometimes we hit each other and that usually resulted in the houses being
saved (historic preservation by default) as we were too then busy beating each
other up, or running for help, to worry about the stiff-plastic citizens.

][<en