BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:08:05 -0400
Random House Dictionary of the English Language, Second Edition -
Unabridged (1987):

"earth tone: any of various warm, muted colors ranging basically from
neutral to deep brown. [1970-75]"

The bracketed dates indicate when the term is believed to have entered the
language; surprisingly recent, and squares with Deb's kitchen theory of
hue-making.

None of the older dictionaries I've checked have the term.

Anybody see primary red or yellow as muted colors in that definition?  Put
on your "I'm a judge that has never given a moment's thought about color
in my entire life because my nose has been stuck in dusty tracts of legal
mumbo-jumbo" hat.  It seems pretty weak to me, as far as being a
descriptor...I think you could have a full-fledged tea party with that
definition, Jim.

Attached is some porn for Ralph to enjoy.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "Oh joy!  Rapture!  Now
Raleigh Historic                               I have a brain!"
Districts Commission                                   - Scarecrow