BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:57:34 -0500
In yesterday's Mpls StarTribune (8.26.99), there was an article that
mentioned an archaeologist and a micropaleontolgist from Minnesota are
going to "map the earthquake damage" in Turkey.  The archaeologist said:

   "I can't say I'm glad the opportunity arose, but on the other hand,
   it doesn't happen very often in the Mediterranean. ...This is an
   unfortunate occurrence, but it's a chance for me to see it two
   weeks after the fact instead of 2,000 years."

I would think it would be better for someone in the field of architecture
to do any sort of mapping of damage -- unless, of course, they're looking
at damage to archaeological sites, which is not mentioned in the article
and seems to go against the above statement.  Any thoughts?

By the way -- they're spending only a week in the country and are planning
on staying "away from cities where conditions are particularly bad."  The
archaeologist is well-known and respected here, but it all seems a bit too
fishy...

Barbara

p.s.  one of my over-zealous co-workers came up with "aquamarine iguanas in
Djibouti"