BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:58:02 -0500
Met History wrote:

> In a message dated 2/4/2005 4:06:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>     Best drying for herbs is hanging in dry air and/or putting them in a
>     paper bag hanging in dry air.
>
> is there a season for culling herbs?  or just any old time?  c

c-

There is no particular season. If you want to dry them, though, it is
best not to cull them in the rain.
We have spearmint at the end of the driveway and if the plants were
poking up from the snow I'd be able to go out and snip them now.
We have sage that I snip any old time I feel like it... though I don't
usually care to chew on it.
Some plants are only going to be useful for short periods of time. For
example, there is only a very brief time in which to collect Tiger Lily
petals.
They tend to twist themselves up, turn mushy, then fall to the ground.
If you miss them then you are out of luck.
Rose petals are a bit of a fix, as well, as you have to get them before
they suddenly all fall off the plant.
Rose hips, which are high in vitamin C and make for a fine tea can be
harvested through the winter into spring.
Though there is likely an optimal time for their harvest.
Herbalists/cooks, and histo presto herbalists, would grow their plants
and snip from them fresh for cooking.
Cooking with fresh herbs can be a whole different experience than using
them dried.
Sumach buds (the red ones, not the white and not poisonous) also make
for a fine tea.
You might also experiment with a food dryer particularly as something
gadgety to do on DFI to avoid other 'chores'.

][<