BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:29:07 -0800
OK, my dictionary says a crypt is an underground burial place in a church.
I think of it as the place where we Vermonters store those who die in
winter waiting for burial in spring.  These are frequently built into the
side of a hill.  Now they are usually called a "vault" but I'm sure I have
heard them called the crypt, maybe to make it sound more creepy.

Yes, we still hold our dead till spring although it is becoming more common
to bury them even in winter now that there is equipment capable of digging
in frozen ground.  Ruth

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT