BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David west <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!"
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:32:38 +0100
>>> Mike Devonshire <[log in to unmask]> 19/07/99 12:00:24 >>>
writes:

"As I understand it the stuff is being
discontinued ... it had to do with lead liability issues.
Afraid you, as well as the rest of us, are up sheet creek my friend."

Does this mean that my shares in lead miners are doomed to languish in the doldrums?  Quit them now or forever mourn the losses?

Seriously though, is this a preservation issue?  Should we be lobbying for the conservation of lead based materials from a historic preservation viewpoint?  Of course, one could argue similarly for asbestos ...

I do think we should be very cautious about over-reacting to OHS issues.  Human health and environmental pollution is important, but we cannot ignore the larger responsibility to society as a whole.  There are so many factors at play here that we need to balance.

Cheers

david