BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 10:59:29 EST
In a message dated 2/9/99 5:33:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< The spec I am bidding has more than enough jargon but
 regardless I still have to cost it. Do you suppose it may have something to
do
 with church work? >>

A couple years ago we ended up in the precarious situation of doing
inspections at a huge timber frame church project in Delaware, OH. Part of my
job was inspecting the work the Amish carpentry crew was doing. (ie: checking
to see if they had a clue.) Since the drawings were typical dashboard size
renderings from an architects office, they didn't make much sense to the Amish
crew.

Not a fun job from the "looking over Joe Miller's shoulder" point of view, but
my first real opportunity to work that close to him. As it turned out, he had
to try to cut joinery based on the dashboard set and drawing details that were
faxed in on a daily basis. They were ACAD drawings which were a little hard
for Jose (pronounced Chosee with a long "O") to "cypher." It turned out I was
useful to him after all, in that I could explain what he need to know in
carpenter's terms.

We ended up getting along pretty well. One great memory was that of trying
hard to explain a particular joinery detail while realizing Jose "chust wasn't
gettin' it." I asked him to try to explain what was confusing him. He thought
for a moment and replied "You know, if this was a barn I could build it
without the drawings, but these churches are pretty hard to build."

Must have something to do with church work.

Rudy