BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 06:44:07 -0700
>Wait until you try the "restaurant setting" where with the press of a tiny button, you switch the two directional microphones in your hearing aid out-of-phase so that all the background noise they both pick up is cancelled out, and you end up with this Maxwell Smart Cone of Silence effect where you zero in on the sound immediately in front of you (like the person talking to you).

I'm sorry to say but this sounds really neat. I know of one person that
was doing his Doctoral work on heritage sounds. W/ Bluetooth & digital
hearing aids could we get old sounds?

On another sensory topic... I heard recently that we can distinguish
something like 1,000 smells. Nerve receptors in the nose are complex and
it is the combination of the pattern of their triggering or something
such that creates the multitude of distinctions. Reference to virtual
environments and recreation of virtual smells. Read article that posits
language development may be related to our olfactory abilities as the
areas of the brain used are near/mixed or shared between them. Then
again the number of hi-emotion swear words that deal with smelly stuff.

So... is anyone aware of studies on recreation of heritage smells?

Thnx,
][<en