BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:18:34 -0400
I keep asking this to people. Is there any exotic insects killing trees near the bat caves with WNS? The thought is this: some of these insects use a fungus to kill the trees. Some of the bats roost in trees. Trees die and bats move to caves infecting other bats. There  is a wasp that kills pines in NY and it uses a different kind of fungus. The fungus involved in WNS bats is called Geomyces. One form of Geomyces feeds on feathers and things like toenails. Who knows what might have come over from China.

The nose doesn't know.

Larry

--

*Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* <http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp>