BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The fundamentally unclean listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:51:22 -0500
Nick asked:

<<Would "Plasticity" translate to "Workability"? Workability is of high
value to craftspeople. The addition of lime to mortar helps Portland to
become much more workable. Lime mortars and putties are quite friendly
in this way.>>

Design values, like modulus of elasticity, are typically given for cured
or dried state materials. In wood going from green to dry, or concrete
or mortar going from green to cured, the strength increases
considerably. The "workability" of a material is often a value that
would exist in the green state when it is being worked. Mortar,
concrete, green timbers etc. are all examples of this. I don't know of
any empirical data source for workability. I think that comes from
standing in the shadow of experience.

Rudy