BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Is this the list with all the ivy haters?"
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:33:41 EST
Other people gasp, but the best child raising book I ever found is by Brian
Kilcommons.  I got it late, and I could have saved myself a lot of dead ends
if only I had had it earlier.  From it I learned/realized that...

    1.  Obedience is the most important thing - you know more than they do,
and it may even save their life.  There's plenty of time for questions, even
insolence, later.

    2.  Only give a command once - say it a second time, and they'll wait for
two or more times ever after.  After the first command is ignored, just take
them by the shoulders or whatever and do it for them.

    3.  When you get angry, you have lost control, and you'll wind up
punishing, instead of teaching.  Don't take disobedience personally - cool
down for a while.

    4.  They actually want to please you, and do what you want them to do -
sometimes they just need help.  When they aren't following your instructions,
they're more upset than you are.

    5.  Keep calm, no yelling.  They get confused.  Give them plenty of
praise and hugs.  You're lucky to have them - but you're the boss.

Oh yes, you can get Brian Kilcommons' book on out-of-print sites (like
www.mxbookfinder.com)  - it's called "Good Owners, Great Dogs - A Training
Manual for Humans and Their Canine Companions".

Love and lots of fun,
Model Parent