BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 09:31:56 -0400
Acid leak creates local civil emergency!

I'm glad it was hydrochloric acid and not hydrofluoric acid, but it
still created a local emergency.  Apparently a local machining plant
leaked some acid and it triggered a city-wide warning for people to stay
in their houses, turn off any ventilation systems, and move to the
highest floor of their building until an all-clear was issued.  We
didn't know if this was an industrial accident or terrorism, but by this
morning it appears to been the former.  Whew!  I need all my calcium in
my aging bones.

I remember when I was just a tyke (18-year-old pre-architect) and told
to clean all the office tools with carbon tetrachloride.  It dried my
skin but really worked to removed the carbon and ink from our drafting
tools and borco.

QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA

219 1/2 N. Main Street