BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv which takes flossing seriously! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 18:50:38 -0400

> But how do others think about retaining wall construction.

C:

I've built a few from rubble stone and dry laid mostly. No reports as
yet on them falling over. The basic idea is like building a dam to hold
water, but in the case of a retaining wall to hold earth and water, and
earth with water and it is a whole lot easier than keeping a lake in
place. I've not seen pictures of the mess on the HHP so can't speak for
it being well constructed or otherwise. I'm curious to know the
nationality of the mechanics who built it more than who the developer
was. A house foundation is usually a retaining wall in the configuration
of a box. It is difficult to live our lives without interfacing w/ a
retaining wall here or there. The sea wall at the Hudson River is a
particularly interesting retaining wall -- check the as-builts on that!
Our friend Bobby Watt, Scottish stonemason from Ontario, got to work on
it but the Hudson River Park Trust has been screwing him on the money,
that is, since they don't seem to have their act together on their
budget. How do others think about Philly lawyers and jackasses working
in project management?

][<