BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:54:58 EST
[BP Preservationeers:  I am having trouble forwarding messages to PL.  Anyone
else experiencing difficulties? -- MDK]

Both New York State and New Jersey are facing RFRA bills that have been
reintroduced into the new legislative Sessions. I don't have a fuller update
for NYS, but I will try to get that in the next few days.

In January, the NJ Religious Freedom Restoration Act was re-introduced into
the state Senate (S-321) and Assembly (A-903).  This is the act, you remember,
that will require a "compelling state interest" to enforce local and state
laws when a "sincerely held religious belief" motivates actions that go
contrary to them. Among the many type of legislation affected by this strict
standard are local zoning and historic preservation ordinances that help make
our communities more livable and protect our landmark properties.

NJ-RFRA is on the agenda for Senate Hearings to be held Monday, March 2, 1998.
The hearings begin at 10:00 A.M. in Committee Room 4 (1st Floor, Room 131),
State House Annex.

Legislators need to hear from the history and preservation communities on this
legislation!  Our historic houses of worship are at risk should these bills
pass.

Those in New Jersey should join the Advocates for New Jersey History, the NJ
Historic Trust, Preservation New Jersey, the League of Municipalities, and a
number of the state's historic preservation commissions in opposing this bill!
Send public comments and questions to John J. Tumulty, Committee Aide, or make
bill status and scheduling inquiries to Karen M. DeMarco, Secretary, at (609)
292-5526.

If you need more information, you can contact me at:

Mary Krugman, Trustee
Advocates for NJ History
(973) 509-2153 (voice)
(973) 744-7567 (fax)