BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2009 11:50:33 -0500
Ken writes:
> One of the themes that is slowly evolving least ways w/in PTN, ...
> there was an evident 300 year history of building
> technology that survived Katrina, ...lost during 200 years of
> industrialization in a 'use and throw away economics' and that there is
> something more than a symbolic act when you have someone that actually
> knows how to repair a slate roof, or a house trailer, or to repair and
> maintain existing wood windows, or to fix the bullet holes in their
> stone wall, or to take the existing building and make it more energy
> efficient without causing it to rot away faster.

Leland quotes:
> "We say we want a renewal of character in our day but we do not really know
> what to ask for.  To have a renewal of character is to have a renewal of a
> creedal order that constrains, limits, binds, obligates and compels.  This
> price is too high for us to pay.  We want character without conviction;  we
> want strong morality but without the emotional burden of guilt and shame;
> we want virtue but without the particular moral justifications that
> invariably offend;  we want good without evil;  we want moral community
> without any limitations to personal freedom.  In short, we want what we
> cannot possibly have on the terms that we want it."
> James Hunter, The Death of Character

Ken recently sent me (thanks!) a copy of McKibben's "Deep Economy." My
"take away" from it is his mention of the old saying, "Good, Fast,
Cheap. You can have any two at once, but not all three at once." Even if
you have not heard this before you will understand it. You can have
something Good and Fast, but it will not be Cheap. You can have it Good
and Cheap, but it will not be Fast, etc.

OK, draw a triangle on your paper. Label the corners, lower left is
"FAST," lower right is "CHEAP," up top is "GOOD." On the line between
FAST and CHEAP write "things." On the line between CHEAP and GOOD write
"relationships." Now, what's the opposite of Good? Bad. So write "bad"
opposite from GOOD on your triangle, put it down below your triangle.
What's the opposite of FAST? Slow. So, write "slow" opposite from FAST
out past the relationships line in the upper right. What's the opposite
of CHEAP? Expensive, so, you know where to put that, way over in the
upper left.

Now, it's easy to see, the vinyl pirates and greedy corporateers operate
along the bottom line providing Fast Things Cheap. It is the consumer
economy where they grind up the earth into poison wallboard, disposable
diapers, MacBurgers edible but not healthy, and plastic windows--all
things with short lives, but cheap and fast, so the corporateers get the
most money as fast as possible for the least effort. Everything in Fast
Things Cheap land is related to things. People are not important here,
in fact people are squashed down and eliminated to keep the production
of things very efficient and, most of all, dollar profitable. Lay off
1500 workers at the Kleenex factory? No problem. Kill our sons and
daughters and thousands of people in far away places so there is cheap
oil to make plastic windows? Yes sir. Put millions of people out of
their homes with toxic home loans, and walk away with not only their
money, but the future value of the house? Sure, we'll do that, laughing
all the way to the bank. They think: I've got mine, now I'll take yours,
too bad for you.

Around the corner of your triangle is the Cheap Relationships Good
realm. Of course, many of us are already here. This is where the PTNers
operate. A local tradesperson helps their neighbor by fixing their old
windows. It doesn't cost much (CHEAP), she has to Slow down at the end
of the work day and have a conversation with the homeowner about how the
work is going (relationship) We think: that's a good piece of work, are
you satisfied, do you need anything else?

Of course, the big trick is to get more people from FastThingsCheap land
around the corner to the CheapRelationshipsGood realm. This is not easy
because the corporateers have the way around the corner clogged up with
half a century of marketing myths, lies and brainwashing. Some of us
have found the way. What is your way?

Last year I thought we had found someone in Washington to help us around
the corner, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I think once they get to
Washington they are stuck on the FastThingsCheap flypaper. We might as
well forget about federal tax credits that support caring for out fine
old homes. The FastThingsCheap crowd will grind our homes up too, if we
let them.

It looks to me like we'd better stick together over here in the
CheapRelationshipsGood realm and help each other out. Got a neighbor
without a job and a family to keep warm this winter? Show them the way
around the corner of the triangle. Stop over and help them fix up their
old windows. It's CHEAP. It will SLOW you down, RELATIONSHIPS take time,
but it's GOOD.