BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Delaney Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 20:19:59 EST
Subj:    Re: Demolition by neglect
Date:   2/13/98 5:44:11 PM EST
From:   [log in to unmask] (Bradford J. White)
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask] (Dan Becker), [log in to unmask]

Demolition by neglect has always been a very interesting concept in
preservation circles.  The standards that you have provided are very good
ones.  However, I often tell my clients, particularly those troubled by
enforcement of demolition by neglect standards particularly when considering
woefully understaffed preservation commissions, is to educate the building
inspectors and bring actions under the building code.  Nearly every building
code provides for citations, etc. for the problems listed in your ordinance.

In addition, courts don't look favorably on people creating their own
hardship.  In other words, one who lets their property deteriorate
significantly is not looked upon favorably when he/she then argues that it
will cost too much to make appropriate repairs.  All that being said,
demolition by neglect standards are a useful to point to when having
problems with an owner, but some enforcement mechanism must be included in
the ordinance.

Brad White
Project Management Advisors, Inc.
117 North Jefferson, Suite 303