BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:42:52 -0500
-- Herbert Muschamp, "File under Architecture"
I bought this book, because of the cover - corrugated card board - and its
comments on the back page: "I am an architect who has neither designed nor
built any buildings nor has the inclination to do so.I call myself an
architect purely out of the comic conceit which is all that remains of the
Western architectural tradition.  Buildings have such short life spans
nowadays, and few bother to look at them, anyway.  Planning schemes must be
revised each year, and still can't keep up.  Last winter's cosmic comical
conceptual designs are forgotten with the appearance of the new spring line.
Books last longer, take up less space, are easier to take care of, make
better gifts than do most buildings.  In the last analysis, architecture is
not a very highly evolved state of mind."  1974, Cambridge, MA
Best,
Leland