BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:02:56 -0400
I have worked successfully with both Traco and Efco - they make good
aluminum replacement windows. HOWEVER, I assume you know that, you will
loose substantial glass area and not really replicate the delicate yet
strong profiles of steel windows (unless I am incorrect in assuming what
your windows look like). The change will be significant and I urge you to
make sure your client realizes this.

I wonder why the "Seekircher approach" will not work. Are they too far gone?
I have had good luck with decent metal workers who are "in to" doing the
work. Also, there have been some interesting projects presented recently
highlighting repair, restoration and discrete replacement here in the
northeast including APT 2000 and at Technology and Conservation Seminar
"Preserving the 20th Century Building Envelope" at MIT in 1999. These
included a project at Yale (Perry Dean Rogers Archs. I think) and a large
industrial site somewhere in New England. I left my notes at work so will
need to get back to you as soon as I can if I have more info but I hope this
helps - hate to loose steel windows for aluminums.

Eric Hammarberg
Associate Director of Preservation
Associate
LZA Technology