BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:35:17 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/2001 8:39:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Muriatic acid is often used for cleaning of masonry, particularly to remove
>  excess mortar stains.

Thanks to Steve and Bryan for the great explanation of the lime cycle and
graphic. Incredibly helpful -- it explained a lot.

Re: muriatic acid, I recently expanded a section of my office and had a
section of brick wall that needed to be cleaned. An (Irish) contractor I know
swore by muriatic acid. "'Clean it up real nice, it will," he said.

So I went to the local hardware store, and was read the riot act by the owner
(a friend). "Do you know how dangerous this stuff is? I don't sell this to
just anyone, you know," she said. I bought it, read the directions, and
chickened out. Too dangerous for me, that's for sure. I'm amazed you don't
have to be licensed to use it.

Thanks again for the lime refresher course.

Mary