BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:58:00 EST
Not long ago I had lunch with a well known PE (structural engineer) who
worked with me on the Pan Am (Met life) ; We choose him not only because we had to
hang a ton and a half rig with live weight off this nimble structure ....and
therefore had to beef up the structural steel in and around the helicopter pad
(now disused) but because as a young man he had actually help work on the
design phase of the Pan Am...(1960).

and so thus during lunch we had an interesting discussion about architecture
design and fashion when a lovely pair of round heels came by in what you refer
to as (c f m )  heels .
Now ..as two gentlemen  who are on diets; but who still look  at the menu we
waited until the sweets trolley  had made it past
 then my friend proceeded to tell me of a New York of 1960 when he vividly
recalled a normal young woman  exiting a shop on Madison  who was bra-less in a
sweater  and the men on the street in  their brooks brothers literally
stopping  dead still to stare (some even followed her ) .which would go unnoticed
today; and seems impossible to have happened in 60's New York
The question is this ; and maybe it would make a good book;
What comes first architecture ...... then fashion and trend .....or is it the
otherway around.
Or  are both something of the last century that were related  but are
irrelevant today......Down hair  you can still spot a few Patsy Cline bee hives at
wall mart but Im not sure if there is any architecture I know related to it that
I know of ....Py    ......