BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Light fuse ... retire quickly.
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:09:13 EDT
In a message dated 7/10/2001 9:29:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I want to go tubing on the Delware River this weekend, but don't want to go
 with the 80-people-on-a-schoolbus-outfitters.  We have our own tubes - does
 anyone have a good put-in/take-out point? >>

I am in fact still here; however, I feel like a failure. I've lived on the
Delaware for 30 years, and can't tell you where to go tubing (never been.) I
do know that there are some good areas for boating and water sports along the
Delaware north of the Trenton vicinity, and I think there are launch points
near New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ. For sheer scenic bliss, north of
Lambertville has some of the most beautiful areas that I have ever driven, as
well as New Jersey's one and only covered bridge. I also think there are
areas to launch from the Washington's Crossing Park area (that would be
Washington Crossing on the PA side, and Titusville on the New Jersey side.) I
know many people also float a cooler in a tube for beverages. FYI though, the
river in our area can be very treacherous, really funky undertow, and every
year there are a few drownings, so take all necessary safety precautions.

If you do get down into that area, and want to do more than tubing, here are
my picks. For food (all fairly casual): 1) the Rosemont Cafe, Rosemont, NJ
(just north of Stockton and Frenchtown), reminicent of a Vermont country
store, they only have about six tables, and the service is erratic, but the
food is fabulous -- with a clarity and freshness that sticks in the memory.
2) Faherty's, Titusville, NJ: on the Delaware, located in the southwest
corner of Washington Crossing Park, NJ. Great for snacks or casual dining. Go
in the afternoon and get a table outside overlooking the canal and the river.
3) Inn of the Hawke, Lamertville, NJ: it's in the residential section in the
north end of town on Mt. Hope Street in an old Victorian. Pub atmosphere. 4)
Swann Inn, Lambertville, NJ: the restaurant is fancy and expensive, but those
in the know choose from a limited menu from the famous kitchen that is served
in the bar.  Shopping: 4) Goldern Nugget Flea Market. Huge outdoor flea
market, on Rt. 29 south of Lambertville. Everything from tea services to
trading cards. Weds, Sat. and Sun. weather permitting. Starts early, usually
done by about 2.

Here is a good link for information on Roebling bridges. The Invention
Factory (a children's science museum) forms part of the old Roebling Wire
Works plant in Trenton, where the wire for all the Roebling products was
produced. Their link is
<A HREF="http://www.inventionfactory.com/history/main.html">Roebling Online
History Archive Main Index</A>.

Writing all this has made me extremely homesick. For those of you that don't
know, I've moved from New Jersey to Delaware, and am now working on my
master's degree in Urban Affairs and Public Policy at the University of
Delaware, working with their Center for Historic Architecture and Design. I'm
really enjoying the change of work, and LOVE the tax-free shopping here, but
I'm feeling a bit like Dorothy in Oz, there's no place like home.

-Heidi