BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:43:34 -0800
Bruce,
Faces and Numbers .............  Questions/Comments

1) The length of the nose is directly proportional to the size of the lie
just told.   Ask Pinocchio.

2) The ratio 1 : 2.236.....  is cousin of the Golden Ratio, know to some as
the "Divine Ratio". (That should wake Ralph up.)

I have never found where the "Golden" and "Divine" ratio names originated,
but they seem to be from the 1800's.   An old old wizened experienced mason
who spoke at a restoration course I once attended at the Institute for
Advanced Studies in York, England (he worked on cathedrals in France), sure
did recognize the ratio values when I asked about them, although he said he
had never heard of the names.   He said he used them all the time to lay out
corbelled arches and other details.   He pointed out that the Medieval
mason's square was not in fact totally square, and could be used to produce
those proportions.   He also said that, traditionally, a Master Mason was
not someone who could carve stone any better than another, but someone who
could do layouts (knew geometry).

cp in bc