BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
His reply: “No. Have you read The Lazy Teenager by Virtual Reality?”" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:25:27 -0800
Leland,

So sad to not live closer.   It would be fun to brush the dust off that
museum stuff with you.   I now specialize in designing museum exhibits, and
as a former museum curator, that grant writing language is all too familiar.
Your Ready Kilowatt item really catches my attention since I just finished
designing a new museum of electricity for the Saskatchewan Power Commission.
Ready really is a potatoe head.   Who was he intended to convince?   In the
1960's, Saskatchewan Power created a sweet miss with a tidy little apron,
Penny Power, to travel around the province trying to convince and teach
people how to use electricity in their homes during the rural
electrification campaign.   Pretty Penny Power would pop in to community
events and Women's Institute meetings with her floor lamp and iron and
electric mixer, and at the big fairs, with her washer-dryer combination and
electric stove to try to get the happy farm wives to convince their husbands
they needed to get hook-ups to the farms.   She was targeting the ladies,
knowing full well there would be hell to pay if she targeted their men.

At the moment, I'm in the midst of a commission to write a best practices
article for a museum association web site, the topic: Exhibit Planning.
The basic tack I now recommend is to see exhibits as performance art instead
of designed objects.   It is a lot more fun that way and provides a lot of
room for community relevance and involvement.   It also takes a lot of
pressure off the exhibit maker because the entire work is seen as a process
and is therefore never finished, a great strategy if one is on a payroll or
a volunteer.   An easy accountability becomes the number of people coming
with things to add to the exhibit.   The exhibit then belongs to everyone.
To bad for "designers" but then the same could be said for a lot of
architecture too.   Most buildings look better and attract a lot more
interest during construction than when "finished".

A shovel exhibit would be a hoot.   Wish we could play with it together.

A classic shovel event here was the groundbreaking for a new community
college in mid October of 1981.   The local member of the legislature was
Patsy Jordan, a "Big Lady", big in every way, and for the groundbreaking
ceremony she was at the controls of a big backhoe with a long line-up of
male dignitaries on both sides.  The very large photo without a caption on
the front page of the daily newspaper had them all grinning from ear to ear
beside the hole and big pile of fresh dirt, with Patsy's smile showing teeth
visible to the camera from 30 away.   The paper's typesetter made his
comment on the day by placing a bold black 1" headline immediately below the
photo stating, "Sadat buried in Egyptian desert!"   I always wanted to
combine archive and artefact in an exhibit around that one.

cp over the hill and far away in bc