BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 14:48:38 -0500
William writes:
>>A German colleague told me that Germany uses no vinyl products in building
construction anywhere. He said it had to do with the fact that it cannot be
manufactured without leaving undesirable environmental waste. Don't know.
I'd like to check on that. <<

I have heard the following from two different sources (neither
authoritative) that vinyl windows were first developed in Germany in the
mid-1950s and introduced in the US in the late 1960s. Did the Germans give
vinyl a try and then drop it? If so, that story would be useful ammo.

John Leeke, Preservation Consultant

publisher:               Practical Restoration Reports
contributing editor: Old-House Journal
postal:                    26 Higgins St., Portland, Maine  04103, USA
phone & fax:           01 207 773-2306
email:                      [log in to unmask]
website:                  www.HistoricHomeWorks.com