BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:32:55 -0600
There is open water on the pond...a little.  Some geese have returned
and appear to be pairing up.  Its time for me to think about my
painting and windows again.

The house is a mid-80's (1980's) development sort of split kind of
thing.  It may have been the model home.  Certainly its first owners
had the funds for a few extras and had reasonably good taste.  The
windows on the front (west) and south side are Andersens.  They are
wood casement windows with interior screens.  Nice windows.

The east and north sides have these funky gliding/sliding windows.
They are large, about 4'-5" square.  The screens that were here when we
purchased the house and the one I had my hardware store make are just
too darn flimsy.  They twist, go out of shape and fall to the ground,
change shape some more and eventually become completely ineffectual.

There are exterior storms on two of them.  Others may be in the
basement.  They have kind of a pin system for attaching the screens and
storms.  But somebody screwed the storms in two locations and I have
not yet tackled that issue.

Meanwhile, the brick molding is suffering terribly.  My diagnosis is
that the brick molding and the windows and doors were delivered to the
site with the factory primer, but no paint, and nobody bothered to
paint any of this until I started.

The sliding'gliding windows are wood and for the moment in good shape.
They have vynl tracks and are sufficiently tight.  I want screens and
that work.  Storms that work would be nice, but since they are weather
tight, I'm not concerned about that yet.  I'd like to go to the
manufacturer and order the appropriate screens.  But I can't find a
manufacturer identification anywhere.  Perhaps it was painted over.
All I have is a stamped "A04689X26C1" in the aluminum space piece
between the glass panes.

Naturally, I don't want to talk to a window contractor, because they
want to replace my wood windows with some nice vynl clad windows.

Any suggestions?

-jc