BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:46:25 -0500
][<en,

During Nepoleon's occupation, Haiti provided 80% of all produced goods
outside France.  The island was wasted long ago.  The statistic often quoted
back in 1975 was that 11% of the arable land washed into the sea each year.
Deforestation has been a problem for a long time, but the silting in the
perimeter waters prevents sun light from encouraging growth of flora and
hence fishing has to be done well away from the land. Further, most Haitians
preferred method for cooking is to make coal from cutting down trees. There
are still some magnificent Mapu trees and the like in less populated areas,
and one can imagine what the island was like when the only inhabitants were
Arawaks.  From an economics standpoint, the island has a potential work
force of millions.  I have never understood why the US cannot put a business
plan in place to rebuild this nation.  There is a history of marine
occupation, and dumping money in the wrong hands.  An book that is essential
reading for the understanding of Haiti is Written in Blood.

I am trying to get a presentation up on YouTube, and will let you know
later.

Best,

Leland