BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Bruce W. Popkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!"
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:56:35 -0500
Greetings to BP from BP.
(Now isn't that going to cause a bit of confusion.)

Thanks for the welcome.  Among this group, of course, I never expected to cause
a sensation, but if I can amaze Ken at first contact, who knows....

For the uninitiated, WASA is an A/E firm in New York City with a very active
preservation staff.  We have a long company history, stretching back to our
predecessors Reed & Stem (ca. 1889, St. Paul, MN, who then moved in 1903 to NYC
after winning the competition to design Grand Central Terminal).  Names changed
with evolution of partnership -- ending in 1960s with Wank Adams Slavin
Associates (WASA).  None of that generation survives, but it was decided to keep
the name.  And let's face it, the acronym WASA is so much easier to deal with,
and elicits fewer tittles from Brits and savvy anglophiles.   If you want more,
you can check out our website at www.go2wasa.com.

We are not related to "The Wasa" in Stockholm, which I will admit is a
spectactular piece of preservation, too. Very worth visiting if you happen to be
nearby.

Speaking of visiting exotic locales, I briefly walked through the new Chinese
Scholars Garden at Snug Harbor a few weeks ago (site verified -- I know this
question has been kicking around BP).  It is a remarkable place of ever-changing
views, carefully calculated for best advantage and contemplation.  A collection
of progressive spaces, mostly outdoors, unified by omnipresent white walls and
dark roofing tiles, but each presenting a unique character and/or set of
materials, typically in varieties of stone, wood, water and plants.  Sorry, no
crushed glass to be seen.  (Thanks to the typically poor communications in our
large office, I didn't find out until a couple of weeks later that WASA had just
won the project to design a new visitor's center for the Garden.)

See you in the ether,

Bruce