BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
plz practice conservation of histo presto eye blinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:44:02 -0500
 >>Don't you think that modern authors are not willing to vanish--that
they  so desperately want to be part of the story. Yes? No? Maybe so?
I know I need to vanish more.<<

Some of my readers say they like getting to know me through my writing,
so I'm tending to leave my self in. I'm usually telling my stories about
my work, so the third person seems to lack authenticity. But, one of my
editors, I think it was John Lively at Taunton Press, once said he
thought my articles were like windows, with perfectly clear glass. The
article "framed" the subject but did not get in the way of a "clear
view" of the subject for the reader. I think that "clear glass" is me
vanishing from the writing where it's important to do so.

In a similar vein, occasional when I'm in front of a group speaking or
working more closely with just one or a few people, I find myself
vanishing. "Vanish" really does describe it. This first happened back in
the 1990s when I was giving a slideshow/talk in New Hampshire. It's part
of a four-Saturdays series, pretty formal situation, in a recently
restored 1920s Egyptian Revival theater, about 50 or 100 people. I start
my slide show with about 40 slides that usually takes an hour. I'm on
the stage, in front of the screen pointing at the images with a broom
handle. I show and talk through the first few slides, then all of a
sudden I'm looking at the last slide, and I'm off the stage, in the
"pit" right up next to the front row of the audience. Ain't that odd, I
thought, maybe I passed out and fell off the stage, or, or, well I don't
know what. I'm beginning to worry, feel bad, sweat and i turn to look at
the audience. All at once they're all clapping with some hoots and
cheers, a few and then more are standing up, this seems to go on a
little too long. I'm thinking, well they're happy, I'm not hurt, looks
like I'm done. I step over to my contact person who's with a couple
others, she says, "Well, we weren't expecting anything like that!"

It was time for a break so we stepped to the back of the hall where
there were refreshments. Folks had the usually good technical questions
and comments, and it looks like I actually did go through all my slides
and covered the subject at hand. Most of the folks seemed a lot "warmer"
and friendlier than usual.

The next day I was back at home and something even more unexpected
occurred. After lunch I started getting calls from the people who were
at the talk, a dozen or more calls. They're saying, "I tried what you
said, and it really works", and "how did you know what was under my
clapboards", "I couldn't make it yesterday, but I heard about your
talk", etc.

I didn't have a clue what happened during that slide show. If you do,
please let me know.

John
by hammer and hand great works do stand
by mind and heart we share the art