BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:22:01 -0800
I'll wager I've had most of my clothes longer than Ms Bouncy has been
alive.  Six months indeed!!!!!  Ruth

At 9:54 AM -0500 3/3/05, Met History wrote:
In a message dated 3/3/2005 8:20:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

I  was in a Banana Republic last year telling a bouncy young salesgirl that
while I liked the cut of BR Khakis that I regretted that they frayed at the
cuff within six months. She responded with honest amazement: "But why would
you want them to last more than six months?" She is representative of the
people who will use and commission buildings in our lifetime. The New
Discourse doesn't flick her away like a stupid gnat but engages with: what
are we going to do about that?
How about architects  establishing as part of the construction budget an
endowment to repaint  a house every three years and a fee for giving advice
on it in perpetuity? The point is to know what contemporary issues are and
to attempt to do something creative with the culture in hand  so that
traditional architects are not perpetually eating dust. . . even if some do
genuinely enjoy the taste of dust it should be the dust of their choice not
that from someone else's heels.
Andres

--
Ruth Barton