BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 08:47:38 -0500
We once went to a new car show room with all three kids.  Whining early
teenager, curious prepubescent insisting on participating in the
selection and negotiations, and toddler loosing his toy car somewhere
under one of them shiney new real cars.

I know we came close to buying a car, but when I called another dealer
who had come close, but no cigar, she insisted that I come and see one
last car.  It was the shiney little RED one.  Over my wife's objections
I took it home for the weekend...I fell in love with it...still have
it...teaching that toddler to drive in it now...once I can actually
hand it off to him or one of his sisters I can buy that MR-2 (Suzy
finally admits that it has been a good car and in hindsight was a good
deal...but has never let me anywhere near a female car salesperson
again...she seems to think they can read my mind better than I
can.)...but that's not this story.

So it turns out that the toy car has disappeared, but is not forgotten.
  So I called to see if they had found it in the show room, and to
notify them that I had purchased the red car and the deal for their car
was off.  They were not happy.  Wouldn't look for it.  And were most
discourteous when I came in and found it.

Several months later the Dodge Caravan bites the dust.  I don't think
we even bothered to look in that show room.  So we bought the 4-runner
from a complete stranger...most expensive car I expect to ever own.

Two lessons, I suppose.  One, having to do with underestimating
customers with kids in tow and the second , get the RED one!

-jc