BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 07:53:47 -0600
Ruth,

Most likely water has dissolved the lime in the mortar, leaving behind
sand and nothing.  If there's truly nothing left, you'll have to
consider rebuilding the brick portion of the wall.  The good news is
that you'll want to do it in a bunch of small sections, so that the
house stays supported by the part you are not working on.

This is the kind of work that gets real expensive if you have a
contractor do it, because it must be undertaken in small chunks.  The
alternative approach would be to lift the whole house off the
foundation and rebuild the foundation and then put it back down.  The
advantage is you get it done all at once and if you had dreams of more
head room in the basement, this is your chance.

Remember, I haven't seen the building, so this is all guess work based
only on things I've seen before.  (Assume another five pages of reasons
why it wasn't my fault if something bad happens.)

But, don't discount water and time.  It is almost always the cause.
Also, you may might have just found this problem, but that doesn't mean
it hasn't been there for 75 years. There are a bunch of masons and
chemistry set guys on this list.  They must be taking the weekend off.
I'm sure they will give you much better council tomorrow morning.

If the web site doesn't work, try telephoning.  You may also try the
Vermont State Historic Preservation Office.  The Pennsyltucky SHPO used
to send them without charge to people who asked for them.  Of course
that was a awhile ago and things may have changed.

If all else fails, send me your mailing address and I'll loan you my
hard copy.  But it’s autographed by the authors, so I want it back.
Okay, it’s a weird thing to collect, but I really do have a collection
started of autographed preservation briefs.

-jc