BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The weather listserv for hotheads....
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:50:58 -0400
From an online dictionary, I found:

 "One entry found for liminal.

Main Entry: lim*i*nal
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin limin-, limen threshold
Date: 1884
1 : of or relating to a sensory threshold
2 : barely perceptible"

So, I see the use of this word as less physical and more conceptual.
That doesn't mean that the hands-on Bpers don't think in broad concepts,
but we'll cross that threshold when we get to it.

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA

Date:    Thu, 5 Sep 2002 06:53:00 -0700
From:    Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Liminal

PS:   Speaking of "Thresholds", no one mentioned the "Liminal" during =
the recent chat about doorways.  I heard that term used for "doorway" at
= a recent academic conference about "the nature of home" and
immediately = realized how relevant to life BP really is since it was
right after the =
"door saddle" thread.   We usually refer to the origin of "threshold" as
=
a medieval word about the raised door piece that kept in the straw, or =
thresh, back in the historic cold period when household floors were =
covered with it, rather than something related to the threshing floor.