BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"William B. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Shinola Heretics United"
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:48:21 -0600
I met with Christian Overland, mentioned in Christopher Gray's article, in
1997, while investigating the 11-acre crawl space under the Henry Ford
Museum. He pointed out:
        All of the parts have nautical, not construction, names, in order to help
get around anticipated labor problems.
        The house was designed to travel in a can on a flatbed truck. The truck
pulls up to the mast at the center of the house and the pie section pieces
are installed in one location, then the building is rotated to install the
adjacent pie-sections.
        Fuller had a daughter who died of respiratory illness while they lived in
Chicago tenements. So he insisted on very strong ventilation. The Dymasion
house has a swoopy aluminum top that rotates so its opening is downwind. It
rotates on the axle of a 44 Buick.
        The Dymaxion house was manufactured in the Beechcraft plant, which was
looking for post-war activity.
        The first (only) completion had Marian Anderson at the inauguration. I can
only imagine what the sound of her voice was like within a 40' diameter
aluminum can.