BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 19:21:20 -0400

I found it moving too.

The corollary that often doesn't get recognized:

Historic districts usually get designated when they are in distress.
Then, you are fighting demolition. Over time, the incremental
accumulation of investments and improvements under the guidance of the
commission, and folks start to see, hey, this place is nice, and you no
longer are fighting demolition. Then, the first wave that lived/saw the
warts, moves on, dies, whatever, and the regulation chafers start to
move in. "Why do I need to apply for a change? I know what's
appropriate, I recognized how nice this neighborhood is when I moved in,
so I won't do anything bad." "Who are you to tell me what to do?"

So we preserve them incrementally too, and then end up crying at the
end, but for entirely different reasons.

Dan Becker,  Exec. Dir.      "The thing that destroyed
Raleigh Historic               Babylon and Nineveh was
Districts Commission        too much Waldorf Astoria."
[log in to unmask]                    -- Elbert Hubbard,
919/516-2632                 The Philistine, Feb. 1909

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina  Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.”