BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "That's gneiss but I think you're full of schist!"
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:35:03 -0400
On July 21, 1999 11:49 PM, Philip McPherson [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
wrote:

>           Dear Bullamanka-Pinheads,
>
>           I am from northern Ohio.
>           We do not have accents here.
>
>           People in southern Ohio have an accent.

I can vouch for this.  I grew up along the Maumee River in Maumee, Ohio.
 I matriculated higher education at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.
 Those people down there talk funny.

Which reminds me of how the Maumee River got its name.  Back before Mad
Anthony Wayne fought in the Battle of Fallen Timbers, the area was home to
native americans.  A squaw with her infant in a papoose was canoeing the
river, when a giant lake catfish surfaced and threatened to swamp the
nautical craft.  She leaned low with her paddle to draw a mighty stroke to
speed away when the baby popped out of the papoose and fell into the
river.  The frightened child cried out "Mau-mee, Mau-mee!" and that is how
the river got its name.

Well, from the silence I guess that joke works better when you can hear it
spoken in the native tongue, without an accent.   All y'all are just
hearing it wrong in your head.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director         "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                                  from some Cod?"
Districts Commission                          - With apologies to
[log in to unmask]                                 Bullwinkle Gee Moose