BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "The Cracked Monitor"
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:47:02 EDT
In a message dated 9/14/99 5:37:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> So a "glazed" brick wouldn't be inappropriate. Did you
>  use a real glaze (i.e., a vitreous finish) or did Mr. Edison provide an
>  appropriately colored coating?

Derek,

We used a real glaze. It was expensive but an excellent, though painstaking,
match. The glaze was twice tested for adhesion to the brick at a lab in
Illinois. During the first adhesion test we lost initiative with the supplier
waiting for the test, no approved CO to pay for the brick until after the
test results, and the lot of brick we had reserved was sold. The second lot
of brick was a slightly darker tan and we had to do another set of samples
for color match, and those again had to be tested for adhesion of the glaze.
In shipping brick from place to place via UPS you have to be extra careful in
the packing. All adhesion tests passed and all color matching passed, that
is, once the iron spot pattern was approved which was a separate approval
cycle than for color or adhesion. The 300 + brick did end up 300' in the air.
If cost is an issue I suggest you confer with Mr. Edison and see what
solutions he has.

][<en