BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Grace Crane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:43:00 -0400

     I checked with our Fire Safety Engineer about this problem. I don't
     know if you have access to the NFPA (National Fire Protection
     Association) standards in Norway, but this is what I have learned.

     There is an alternative to a fine misting system. NFPA 2001
     "Alternative Gaseous Systems" lists about ten alternative gasses that
     can be used to replace a Halon system. I was told that FM200 is the
     most popular gaseous agent listed in NFPA 2001. You would have to
     replace the canisters and piping for any of those gaseous systems. I
     was told you should have approximately the same level of fire
     prevention that you have with Halon. In addition, if your rooms are
     prepared for Halon, they should be already ready for any of the FM2001
     gasses. And like your Halon system, this works even when the museum is
     closed and there is no one there. I hope this helps.  -Grace

Subject: Fwd: Halon Alternatives?
Author:  "mary krugman" <[log in to unmask]> at internet
Date:    8/25/98 7:56 AM

Subj:    [Fire Safe Heritage]: Halon Alternatives
Date:   8/25/98 7:45:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:   [log in to unmask] (Jack Watts)
Sender: [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask] (FIRE SAFE HERITAGE LISTSERV)

The following is from Museum Security Network
http://museum-security.org/

Date:          Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:07:03 +0200
To:            [log in to unmask]
From:          "Jan Henriksen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:       Fire safety, halon gass and measures to meet new demands

Due to new fire regulations museums in Norway will have to renew parts
(or whole) of their fire protection systems before year 2000.  In
particular there is a demand to get rid of the old halon gass systems.
In our attempt to meet the new demands, we are aware of the fact that
"water mist" seems to be the only real alternative to halon gass.
However, we have a proposal on our desk to take out the halon system,
and meet the fire demands by installing super sensitive smoke
detectors, lowering the temperature notably (in our wet collections),
and brush up our organizational (human apparatus)response.
The hypothesis from our safety consultant is;  do not overestimate
technology to do the job in damage reduction to collections and
exhibitions, and do not underestimate the human factor in fast
response rescue operations.
We consider the consultant's advise to be of value, but run into the
problem that we are not manned around the clock.  Furthermore our
first priority in fire incidents is to safeguard the staff...
So, our question is:  Is there anyone out there who has met similar
fire-safety-claims?  And how?  To us the temperature reduction seems
genious (since it eliminates the danger of explosion), super early
smoke detectores seem very good, training our staff to respond fast
and target orientated seems to have potential but is risky - and we
are at home at night (and must add that we do not wish anyone to have
firealarms connected to their bed room).  And the fire alarm is
connected to both security staff and fire brigade directly.  Any good
suggestions to how (or what)(other than water mist) we can meet the
problem?  And we do not only look for technical solutions.  Tally ho!

//Beste hilsen//      Yours sincerely// //Jan Henriksen//     Jan
Henriksen// //Forstekonsulent//   Senior Executive Officer// //Tromso
Museum//     Tromso Museum// //Universitetet i Tromso//University of
Tromso// //Norge//             Norway// //Phone:  7764 5085//fax:
7764 5520//E-mail:  [log in to unmask] URL: http://www.imv.uit.no