BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Sasser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 09:37:08 -0500
I've been maintaining a set of large three-ring binders for years on various
technical preservation subjects.  I've got 4-5 each for masonry, woodworking, as
well as binders for wood preservatives, paints and finishes, windows and
millwork, roofing materials, etc.  Also binders on case studies, cultural
landscapes, accessibility, energy, etc.
I started doing this 12-15 years ago, because of the scarcity of technical
information available on the kind of preservation techniques I needed, as well
as manufacturers literature etc.  I guess I'm up to about 30 binders.  I like
the ones with the clear plastic cover and spine sleeves that you can insert
contents and cover sheets in.  Also I use 8 1/2x 11 plastic sleeves to store odd
size pages, or pages that I don't want to punch holes in.  This way when I run
accross an article I'm interested in I can copy it and store it in the
appropriate section.  Every so often when the piles of architecture magazines
start to exceed the angle of repose, I go through and clip any interesting
technical articles and add them to the binder archive.  (My woodworking
magazines tend to get saved intact.)   The binder system is also great for the
uncategorized piles of stuff you pick up at conferences.

Lisa