BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Vincent Lepre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:57:24 -0500
If there is a paucity of "serious" architectural achievement,it can't be
laid at the doorstep of the preservation movement. Good art will find a way
to exist. If it can't be built here because of regulation or reaction, then
it'll get it built somewhere else. I think its a down turn in a creative
cycle as much as anything else. Check out MTV sometime.
The reaction by the community at large to the scarey stuff that was built
in the middle of this century has been to be cautious about what we
allow.The "save everything " mentality of the preservation movement is a
reation to the same horrors. This too shall pass.
        Isn't there something fiercely internal about the appeal of
classical forms. If so, the "serious" architecture of the future will be
waiting for us to evolve because I don't think we change internally with
any great haste. Maybe we are just waiting for the next FLW.

Vince Lepre