BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Afghanistan of the preservation movement.
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 09:38:32 EST
In a message dated 12/1/2001 11:10:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< My strongest and purest interest is in HP - especially material
conservation and restoration, or in the broader sence "the preservation and
conservation of all of the damn good old buildings out there, and some that
aren't so good.  I am trying to determine if I should complete my
architecture matriculation - whilst gearing it towards HP, or, should I take
up learning (sorry bout that Faulknerian slip) that is more directly affixed
to the field of HP.  I have been thinking about the limited residency M.A. in
Historic Preservation from Goucher College.  Is there anyone out there that
can provide some insight for me.  Especially if you know about, or
matriculate at Goucher. >>

Since I'm newly back to school, and have been researching graduate schools in
historic preservation for six years now, I can probably provide some insight.
I think both of the options will provide you with a set of credentials that
will ultimately insure employment, so it really winds down to what you enjoy
doing.

I personally tend to think that the architecture degree will buy you more job
flexibility in the long run, since you have a quantifiable skill. I, however,
have also been seduced by all the cool architectural and structural
presentations that I've seen at conferences. I enjoy watching preservation
actually happening in a practical sense, so the architectural and engineering
aspects of building preservation and adaptive re-use are extremely attractive
to me personally. I think that, in general, the architectural side of the
preservation industry gets some of the best salaries, but I also think they
tend to work the hardest and have the longest hours. Moreover, many SHPOs and
Design Review Boards need trained architects to provide technical expertise
for their review, so that type of lateral career move is always possible.

Getting an MA, MHP, or MS in historic preservation will train you for a job
somewhere. However, each program has a very distinct flavor, and reflect
specialities in the field. I can't tell you anything specific about the
Goucher program, but I've never heard anything bad about it.

I'm most familar with U. of Pennsylvania's program, which has developed a
real specialty in architectural conservation. I took a class there in the
mechanical systems of historic buildings, and, while expensive, was worth
every penny. Having said that, I'm getting my degree at the University of
Delaware, which has a very unique program. We are graduate assistants, so we
actually work for the Center for Historic Architecture and Design while we
get our degree, so it provides a lot of real life work experience. The degree
is focused more toward city planning issues, and our home program is housed
within Urban Affairs and Public Policy.

Every other program in the country has its own unique characteristics. If you
do decide to focus strictly on the hp programs, I firmly recommend
interviewing at each program and talking to the current students. Get their
feelings on the strengths and weakness of the program.

-Heidi