BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:03:19 EST
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]> writes:

<< My son, 6th grade, is going with his class to tour NYC in mid April.
 Last night he gave me a very detailed itinerary of the trip and I
 noticed that they are having supper one night at this South Street
 Seaport place.  Is that safe?  It didn't sound to me that it was in a
 very good part of town. >>

Actually, it is in the Financial District, but don't worry.  The Movers and
Shakers do clear out when the Stock Market closes, leaving the Seaport mostly
to tourists.  Too bad your son's group is going in the evening, though; the
kids would have fun exploring the museum of old ships (real ships), but that
closes, I think at 5:00.

From a later message:

<<if we were African American I would not
let him go there.  I do not feel that would be safe under any
circumstances from what I see on the news.  It's so sad.>>

Time you came to NYC yourself, and had a look!  I lived there a long time,
raised kids there, and never felt it was any more risky than a walk in the
country.  The media are so full of snakes and bears...

Kathy Follett ([log in to unmask])