BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 15:13:29 -0500
OK.  Here's the scoop.

Landmarks Tour ("Architecture of Industry" be the theme) of 1,000 arrives
May 1 to walk through the 1926  E. L & Ruth Fogleman House which is a
Harris Brothers catalog house model No. B-1512, manufactured in Chicago.
It happens to be owned by me.  It's not done.  But we're trying really hard
to show them a good time.  Regrettably, I'm the only one to finish the
windows.  They're close.  Thank goodness for storm windows, we've been
without sash in the upstairs openings (nine 8/1 DHS, seven single-sash
hinged 8-light units) for four years.  Looking forward to lower utility
bills soon.

All the putty is burned out of them now (no NYC laws to stop me, and I
didn't need the extinguisher), all prep work done, the primer is drying on
the exterior face even as we type.  [Brian...the 5 year old Abatron Liquid
Wood epoxy consolidant and WoodEpox structural epoxy filler worked fine.]

None of the original glass was set in a bed of putty...it's all right up
against the interior side of the wood muntins.  Now, I would ordinarily set
the glass in a bed of glazing compound, because that's proper.  This from
the man that has scraped tile joints to the top of the Eiffel Tower,
because I'm a man obsessed.  Or is that possessed.  Dunno.

Here's the question.  Anyone can answer, Jim Hicks can then trump them all.
I'm tempted to just install the new glass (yes, I broke some, shocking
waste of original fabric, and some was broken already; hope it doesn't
affect the integrity of the resource) . . .

. . . RIGHT ONTO THE MUNTINS!  No setting bed.  Do you think I'm just
cutting corners?  Is the pressure getting to me?  What would you do?

Thanks for all your concern and advice.  I hope to be less obsessed after
May 1 and able to rejoin you all on a more regular basis.

_________________________________________________ Dan Becker Raleigh Historic Executive Director, RHDC Districts Commission [log in to unmask]