BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:06:13 -0500
By the time my son was in third grade it had become obvious that his biggest
academic challenge was his disinterest in following directions. He would
fail math tests, not for lack of understanding of the math, but because he
was solving for something other than what the question was asking him to
solve.

To cure him of this, I sat him down one Sunday afternoon, handed him a 15-
page practice test to complete, and told him he could not leave his room
until it was completed. The very first instruction on page one was to read
the entire test before beginning work on any of the problems. The very last
instruction on page 15 was: "Now that you have finished reading the entire
test, do not complete any of the problems. Hand it in and let's go out for
ice cream".

My wife and I sat downstairs laughing, waiting for the moment that finally
came three hours later, when having failed to read everything first as
instructed, an having completed all of the problems and essays, he finally
arrived at the last page and let out a pitiful scream.

Mike E.