BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Magma Charta Erupts Weakly"
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:16:01 EDT
BPers - Thought I'd forward this along for you guys to followup on.
Candy B

<< Subj:     [forum-l] sandblasted masonry
 Date:  99-09-27 15:41:31 EDT
 From:  [log in to unmask] (Amy Guthrie)
 To:    [log in to unmask]

 The rectory building at our local Catholic church was sandblasted decades
 ago.  It is brick with sandstone sills.  At some point cementitious stucco
 was applied over the stone foundation.  The church wants to undertake a
 major rehab of the building and to address the deterioration of the brick,
 which is pretty severe.  They have had some recommendations that the HPC is
 very concerned about- I'd like to know who has experience with this.  In
 many large areas the surface of the brick is gone, so that the mortar
 sticks out further than the bricks.  Around windows the brick has a
 "scalloped" edge.  The suggestions we've gotten include stuccoing over the
 whole building or to attach an angle iron to the base of the building to
 secure a new brick veneer on the whole building.  Obviously we aren't very
 happy about these ideas.  We have had a suggestion to use a breathable
 masonry sealer (has to be reapplied every 7 years or so) and there has been
 some discussion at HPC about consolidants such as the product made by Jahn.
  Any ideas?