BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ruth Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B-P Golden Oldies: "Authentic Replicants Converge"
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:30:26 -0700
 Christopher,  I'll have you know even Vermontahs knew about this tunnel
collapse.  Vermont's State Tunnel Authority is currently in permanent
snooze mode.  The only tunnel I know of in the state, that vehicles of any
sort travel through, is the one under a hotel building in beautiful
downtown Bellows Falls.  As far as I know there haven't been any problems
with it in the last century or so.  Ruth

At 11:16 AM -0400 7/12/06, [log in to unmask] wrote:
In a message dated 7/12/2006 10:54:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 I have worked on the construction of numerous tunnels, I did not hear
about this incident you are referring to, I presume it occurred in a
traffic tunnel,

Jim, where you been, stranger - Vermont or something???

The Big Dig, the Ten-Year-Tunnel, the Boston Blow-Out - it's the project
that ate downtown Boston, and then spit it out.  (Indeed, it has improved
north-south traffic fabulously, except the late unpleasantness.)   Photo
in Times today shows panels suspended by 10? foot high hangers from the
actual roof of the tunnel.  Not that many of them, as far as my comfort
level goes - reminds me of the four pin design of the Mianus River Bridge
on I-95 -  but I am sure it was designed by One Of Ralph's Licensed
Colleagues.

Why do they need concrete to separate the traffic tunnel from the air
chamber?   Surely there is some cheaper solution, also lighter.  Ruth,
how does the Vermont State Tunnel Authority do this?

Christopher
-- To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the
http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html

--
Ruth Barton
Dummerston, VT