BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Let us not speak foul in folly!" - ][<en Phollit
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 13:36:51 -0400
Chris,

I agree, don't need examples. And you are right on the mark with "why at the
11th hour?" I write this as I receive a notice of another public forum on
the future of 2 Columbus Circle (On Thursday, May 8, Community Board 5 will
cast its final vote on the future of this building by architect Edward
Durell Stone). This is a cultural problem - why else would we get to work on
so many huge restoration/preservation projects? By being late with
everything, we mostly are running around putting out fires instead of
getting ahead of the snowball. How boring would life be if people actually
maintained their buildings - periodically repointing and a dutchman here or
there. No-o-o, they wait until it is too late and then hire someone to
investigate, prepare huge complex reports, write grants, phasing schemes,
documents, etc. Lots of fun for me (I guess) and $$$ for contractors and
workers - keeps us all working. Ultimately detrimental to the building - the
wood trusses would not rot (less anyway) if the roof did not leak.

Eric Hammarberg
Interim Director of Preservation
Associate
LZA Technology