BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that Ruth calls "Pluto's spider-hole."
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 07:51:15 -0400
][< MAN,

1)  How many hours have you logged?
2)  You should be ED of The Guild.
3)  Agree with most of your conference call rules, however most calls should
be mandatory or excused as any other meeting (What about Robert's Rules?)and
second should be uninterrupted as with a regular meeting
4)  Mobile phone etiquette:  Dan Briody:  Wireless World:

Ten Commandments of cell phone etiquette, with amendments to follow:

1. Thou shalt not subject defenseless others to cell phone conversations.
When people cannot escape the banality of your conversation, such as on the
bus, in a cab, on a grounded airplane, or at the dinner table, you should
spare them. People around you should have the option of not listening. If
they don't, you shouldn't be babbling.

2. Thou shalt not set thy ringer to play La Cucaracha every time thy phone
rings. Or Beethoven's Fifth, or the Bee Gees, or any other annoying melody.
Is it not enough that phones go off every other second? Now we have to
listen to synthesized nonsense?

3. Thou shalt turn thy cell phone off during public performances. I'm not
even sure this one needs to be said, but given the repeated violations of
this heretofore unwritten law, I felt compelled to include it.

4. Thou shalt not wear more than two wireless devices on thy belt. This
hasn't become a big problem yet. But with plenty of techno-jockeys sporting
pagers and phones, Batman-esque utility belts are sure to follow. Let's nip
this one in the bud.

5. Thou shalt not dial while driving. In all seriousness, this madness has
to stop. There are enough people in the world who have problems mastering
vehicles and phones individually. Put them together and we have a serious
health hazard on our hands.

6. Thou shalt not wear thy earpiece when thou art not on thy phone. This is
not unlike being on the phone and carrying on another conversation with
someone who is physically in your presence. No one knows if you are here or
there. Very disturbing.

7. Thou shalt not speak louder on thy cell phone than thou would on any
other phone. These things have incredibly sensitive microphones, and it's
gotten to the point where I can tell if someone is calling me from a cell
because of the way they are talking, not how it sounds. If your signal cuts
out, speaking louder won't help, unless the person is actually within
earshot.

8. Thou shalt not grow too attached to thy cell phone. For obvious reasons,
a dependency on constant communication is not healthy. At work, go nuts. At
home, give it a rest.

9. Thou shalt not attempt to impress with thy cell phone. Not only is using
a cell phone no longer impressive in any way (unless it's one of those
really cool new phones with the space age design), when it is used for that
reason, said user can be immediately identified as a neophyte and a poseur.

10. Thou shalt not slam thy cell phone down on a restaurant table just in
case it rings. This is not the Old West, and you are not a gunslinger
sitting down to a game of poker in the saloon. Could you please be a little
less conspicuous? If it rings, you'll hear it just as well if it's in your
coat pocket or clipped on your belt.

To this list, I would add, "Being There Beats Calling In" in other words:
Calling by mobile should not outrank or interrupt a person to person meeting
or conversation.  One does not commute for an hour to meet someone face to
face to be interrupted and put on hold, this is just plain rude!

Best,
Leland

Leland R. S. Torrence
Leland Torrence Enterprises and the Guild
17 Vernon Court, Woodbridge, CT  06525
Office:  203-397-8505
Fax:  203-389-7516
Pager:  860-340-2174