BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Kitty tortillas! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:05:29 -0500
---------- Original Message -----------
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:14:59 EST
Subject: Re: Chems in limestone

> I'll try this again... Im being asked to fix someone's bleached
> stone.....it wasn't my job....its not my stinking  job (yet) but
> if I do I want to be sure there are no residuals or salts in said
> surface;..water washing may just bring out more salts with the dry
> cycle....so Im reluctant to go there ...I want to somehow test...(
> just test for salts or chems) but Im beginning to see there is no
> easy test
>
> A.   can't I piss on the stone and see what color it turns with
> Lelands loop

Sure, but it won't do much for you beyond the feeling of well-being the same
act usually provides, even when performed elsewhere.

> B.    test for salts using litmus

Litmus is an indicator for pH, not salts, which can be neutral. Analysis can
be done, though. You will need a small sample you can destroy. I don't
recommend the taste test, however, because the guy before you may have taken
approach A, above, and that may be the entire problem. Besides, not all
salts taste like table salt (NaCl).

> C.     wash with a neutral agent

Water? Deionized water? I think that has already been suggested.

> D.     throw my boxers on stone an see if they stick

May be more of an indication of how long it's been since you changed 'em
than whether the stone is acid burned.

> E.     Give up on histo -presto and become a habidasher at Steves
suggestion

The only business easier than the one you're in is the one you don't know
enough about.

Mike E.